Monday, January 7, 2008

Seven Years In Hell

Last Thursday night, after watching Barack Obama's impressive caucus win in Iowa, I wrote a blog entry on Obama's web site. I used to make a fair number of blog postings on Obama's site, until the lack of opposition to Michael Mukasey soured me on the current political scene. Thursday's entry pretty much speaks for itself:

Over this past year, I've become rather cynical and hard to please when it comes to politics, not because I'm contrary, but because people die and people suffer, and we haven't done enough to help them. Tonight, some of my cynicism is in at least a temporary retreat.

I'm proud to be a supporter of Barack Obama. I think we have a long way to go, and I think the fierce urgency of now still means we need to think about those people who suffer needlessly right now, not just in 2009 and after. But we're all growing and changing, and that includes Barack Obama. I believe I saw him grow still more in his caucus acceptance speech tonight in Iowa.

America means so much to us, and it means so much to the world. It's too much to take in, and I wonder that Senator Obama must feel a sense of things that could even overwhelm him if he doesn't remain focused. So far, his focus seems pretty good.

I cannot give myself unreservedly to the political process while laws are still allowed to be broken, and people are still allowed to be tortured, no matter who they are. I am not ready to say we've broken our ties to the corrupt values that have threatened to diminish our sense of honor and country, but we've made a start. I believe Senator Obama has a great chance to be the best thing that's happened to our country since George Washington himself, and I'm not exaggerating. There's a chance that we can make this a momentous time, and it will be even better if we focus on justice and cooperation, and not on power and revenge. I believe Senator Obama can be the man to lead us to a new vision of America. We need to remember that the old vision is still very much with us for those to whom that perspective has given advantage.

I've heard inspiring words, and I've seen an impressive victory. I don't prefer cynicism, but we all have to admit that what we need is action. There are many who wait for America to put its mighty power to best use, and there are some who may not be around to see it. The urgency of now is at its most fierce for them.
With polls showing Obama leading in New Hampshire by as much as 13%, and the media beginning to recognize the phenomenon that Obama is, the race for the Democratic nomination may soon be over. You never know about these things, of course, but it is possible to feel a little optimistic while remaining cautious.

If you need a reminder as to why America is responding to a hopeful progressive message, lawyer Mike Papantonio, who teams with Robert Kennedy Jr. on Air America every Saturday on a show called Ring of Fire, produced a memorable version of his periodic diatribes that he offers in a segment called "The Pap Attack". This one was aired last Saturday on the show, and you can watch and listen to more Papantonio "attacks" on GoLeft TV.





I'll stop for now with a brief quote from a novel I've been re-reading, for the first time since early college:

Until they become conscious they will never rebel, and until after they have rebelled they cannot become conscious.
-- George Orwell, 1984

No comments: