Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Warming Up

This is just a little warm-up for some later, more in-depth writing. I want to set something straight.

I believe we have a right to ask questions in this society. I believe trust is earned. Right now, I see the hard edges of our differences fracturing our society along all-too-familiar lines. I want you all to know that I want to understand the things that matter to each and every one of you.

I don't believe I have any specific answers. But I don't think there's anything more worth fighting for than our right to ask questions and engage in dialogue. If the voices of today's questioners have become strident, some of the blame must lie with those to whom our questions are directed, in that they have not been forthcoming. It's hard to ask the same questions over and again without a hint of impatience.

So bear with me. I'll try to be patient, and please be patient with me. I want us to work together.

No comments: