Friday, July 20, 2007

A Letter

I have sent an email to Congress, expressing my views for the impeachment of President George Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney. The text of my message is reprinted here:

I confess I do not know the correct addressing with which to begin my comments, but I assure you I write this with respect and friendship:

I have lived my life as best I can, and have humbly tried at all times to follow my best and purest instincts in my words and actions. In recent months, I have been much involved in closely following the words and actions of the 110th Congress, and I am honored to be able to address you as individuals who are working so hard for the things that really matter to all Americans.

Because I see so much good in you, and because I have faith that there is sufficient concern on your part that someone, at least, will read my stammerings, I must open my heart to you at this time.

I listened to the lies that led us here, and tried to speak out against them. I have seen the framework of Democracy chipped away, and have protested. I have wept at the deaths of thousands, yet more die needlessly. I am moved now to the edge of fear, but I will not cower. I am watching the hopes and dreams of average Americans stolen from them while they sleep, and I say that outrage is not enough.

History has a very long memory. I am absolutely firm in my conviction that history will look upon the Bush Presidency as the nadir for American Democracy up to now. In that context, anything less than the most stern application of the law of this land can only be viewed as moral cowardice, to such a degree that our children's children, those who might still be free and have access to the lessons of their past, will find utterly repugnant.

It is perhaps true that many Americans still sleep despite the very personal violations inflicted upon them, but I can see that the very honorable members of Congress whom I now address are fully alert, and I am grateful for your vigilance. But who will absolve us if we continue only to jab obliquely at what must, by moral imperative, be diametrically opposed?

Most of the time, we see the world in shades of grey, and I have myself been described as one who tries to address contrasting perspectives. But today, July 20th, 2007, we are confronted with such perniciously absolutist attacks on our ideals that we must respond appropriately.

Most assuredly, it will matter very much to history which side is successful in this confrontation. I submit that it will matter just as much whether we tried. I would be greatly relieved if it were found that my stance is hasty and unwarranted, but I know in my heart that it is not, and I believe you know it, too.

Congressman John Conyers has said: "I have a choice. I can either stand by and lead my constituents to believe I do not care that the president apparently no longer believes he is bound by any law or code of decency. Or I can act." This expression of the choice before us is inarguable, its conclusions inescapable. I implore you to, without further delay, make this valiant stand against the forces that press against us, or we may indeed fall.

Thank you for your time.


Time for comics! This Modern World, by Tom Tomorrow.

No comments: