Sunday, July 15, 2007

Why I Write This Blog

I'm trying to keep up my entries on this blog, although I needed a couple of days away from it just now. If you read this, you might wonder why I bother. I'll have more to write on that, I'm sure, but suffice to say, it doesn't matter to me whether anyone actually reads this. That doesn't mean I'm just talking to myself. I write in the spirit of reaching out to others. But if, in the end, it's just an exercise, that's fine with me. I'm practicing. If you want to develop any skill, you have to practice. I don't so much hope that you read my blog, as that you write your own. It's good for the soul. And you never know what may come out. I'm trying my best.

One way to describe what's been bothering me is the way we relate to each other. Technically, we're all looking out for each other, and we want what's best for everyone. But the chasm between what each of us believes can seem unbridgeable. I don't want to believe there's no hope for dialogue. I do believe the vast majority of us want to work together. But we get separated by the way the arguments are framed. Instead of talking about the things we can agree on, the media trumpets the ways we disagree, and everyone gets mad. Some of that has to happen, unfortunately, because things are so bad. Come on, I know you agree with me on that one. We've got some big problems!

Sometimes, the way to start might be on a topic that hasn't been "spun" too much yet. For me, sometimes it's the less-publicized things that set me off, because to me they seem indicative of how we continue to mistreat each other. As an example, why don't you watch this video from GoLeftTV? It's called "The Attack On Mothers", about issues surrounding the recent increase in cases of autism. Just watch and listen, and see if there's anything here that might concern you. I'll be back later to practice some more.



Since I'm providing links today, here's one more. This is Al Gore (courtesy of YouTube), giving a speech on May 29th of this year on his new book The Assault On Reason. If you read only one book this year, please make it this book.

No comments: