Saturday, August 25, 2007

The Whistleblowers

Iraq Corruption Whistleblowers Face Penalties

I didn't think I could still be shocked.


The above link points to an Associated Press story featured on the MSNBC news web site this weekend. It's a collection of accounts regarding those who tried to blow the whistle on Iraq corruption. The entire story is more than upsetting, but the lead-in account is of a Navy veteran named Donald Vance, who called the FBI to report illegal arms sales, and was rewarded with a 97-day stay in a military security compound outside Baghdad, where he was subjected to harsh interrogation methods before finally being released. The arms sales were being made through an Iraqi-owned company called Shield Group Security Co., for which Vance worked. He described the outfit as a "Wal-Mart for guns", with lots of cash, no receipts, and loyal customers also known as the insurgents.

So, I'll blow the whistle now. In honor of football season, Fweet! Time out! Stop the occupation! Stop the election! Everybody huddle up!

What in the hell is going on here? We're talking about illegal gun sales to the same insurgents that kill our soldiers, and instead of moving quickly to protect American forces, torturing the whistleblower! Enough! Last straw! That's it!

The Daily Kos also has a follow-up on the story: Whistleblowers on Fraud are Jailed and Tortured. It's equally interesting to read the blog comments, and particularly on the MSNBC site, where more of a common American cross-section has been reacting with shock and horror.

None of these stories is actually new. Donald Vance was feted in Washington back in April, and presented an award by Jimmy Carter, I believe. But the details seem to have been largely under the radar. I had not heard about Donald Vance.

Some of the comments ask "Why does this shock you?" Those comments shock me as much as anything. The story of Donald Vance is sufficient in itself, but as a parable for our times, it is an icon with meaning that rivals the Twin Towers. It is nothing less than the betrayal of America.

We tortured an American citizen who was literally trying to do nothing more than keep weapons from the hands of insurgents who want to kill our soldiers. I mean, is there something more you need to hear? The whole American system twists sickeningly in this equation, and seems as precarious as the South tower on that terrible morning.

For me, there's nothing left to discover after this. We are mortally poisoned as a society, and full of deadly venom that must be extracted before it "quite o'ercrows our spirit". We have to change now!

It's Sunday, August 26th, as I write this. The sun will come up tomorrow. George W. Bush will be in my district, holding a $1000-a-plate dinner for one of his favorite Republican Congressmen, Dave Reichert from my own Washington State 8th District. I didn't have the G-spot, so I'm attending a live online town hall meeting with Democratic candidate Darcy Burner instead, and, while my immediate concern will be her local plans for the district, it may be appropriate to raise the whistleblower issue. Or not. Poor Ms. Burner had nothing to do with it.

I could go protest Dubya, but I'd be cordoned off in the Protester Pen, and the President would never even be allowed to see me, so I'll concede to age and ill health, and spend my time with the honest folk. And George, if you're listening, I've got some words for you about this, and this is an issue I promise will not go away.






I'm not having much fun with meditation right now. Zazen can be very boring.

At least I'm feeling better. Not so many meds now. I'm still on prednisone ('roids), but I quit taking the SMZ/TMP after only 7 days (it was supposed to be 10). I felt like I was flying, and probably had a fever. The 7th day, I broke out in a rash, and itched everywhere. Scratching only made it worse. If your doctor prescribes SMZ/TMP for you, you might want to talk with her about it a little first.

But the meditation thing is pretty boring. That's just how it is. After all the harmonic thoughts, and peaceful dreams, and everything else that can float through one's mind while meditating, eventually a persistent sitter begins to calm down, and there's just the mat, and the room, and the sitter. It's very quiet, and reall-l-l-y dull. But that's ok. While my ego tempts me to drift into fantasy, or get up and start doing all the wonderful things I can do, I sit, and my ego doesn't get any stroking. Little by little, it may be wearing down.

So when I get up and start doing again, I've broken the habit of stroking that old ego, just for a little. And maybe the things I do are just a little bit less self-centered, over time. It's going to be a long, hard struggle.

Sometimes I read or hear about phases of Zen experience, and in some, the experience of sitting zazen is very pleasurable. I suspect my difficult, dull, boring phase may last for quite a while. It's not easy to tell my ego to shut up and listen.

If you wanted to know what my Zen was, now you do.


All of man's troubles and anguish arises from his being unable to be alone
with himself in a room, with nothing to do.

-- Franz Kafka





Cleveland Browns 17
Denver Broncos 16

Woof! Three quarterbacks played, and they all looked pretty good. But I think the kid Quinn plays on another level from the others. My prediction: Quinn starts on Opening Day.

I just watched a recording of the game (listened on radio yesterday). Quinn doesn't just get the ball to the receiver -- he gets it to the best place on the field for the receiver to make the catch and keep going. He gives the receivers, and running backs, extra leverage by doing things at just the right time.

Play the rookie!

No comments: