Monday, August 20, 2007

Hodgepodge

I've been under the weather, but I wanted to try and mention a few things.

I've been taking some heavy 'roids for my condition, along with something I've never heard of called SMZ/TMP, which is short for some names you don't want to know. It's an anti-bacterial agent, and can give rise to a fascinating condition called porphyria. After reading up on porphyria, you really don't want to get that. It can take over the nervous system, causing abdominal pain, vomiting, hallucinations, seizures, paranoia, and arrhythmia, among other cool things. Best of all, the name derives from the Greek term for "purple pigment", which Wikipedia says is "likely to have been a reference to the purple discoloration of some body fluids in patients during an attack". Nice touch!

Well, porphyria sounds like fun, but I'll be a little surprised if that happens. It appears I have sufficient already to keep me occupied, and it helps to focus the mind. Let's just say I'd like to see this world point itself in a better direction sooner rather than later.

I feel like some of the lies that have informed our lives are beginning to lose their hold. The spell is breaking. That's a great reason for hope, but causation is complicated. For every action there's a reaction, and I've sensed our potential for violent reaction in the air. Let's bomb Iran. Let's jail the dissenters. Let's spy! We're still in a downward spiral, but at least we know it. We just need to have the courage to take over the controls and point the nose up.

How does consciousness change? A lot of people think Zen will change your consciousness, but I don't think that's what it's about at all. It just lets you appreciate the consciousness you have. As we watch the neoconservative weltanschauung meltdown slide down the drain with all our blood and treasure, perhaps we've blinked and awakened somewhat from our dreams of world conquest, and rediscovered some of the small, everyday blessings. Well, some may have blinked and looked around for someone to blame.

It's not a matter of blame. It's taking time to appreciate, taking time to feel. I know I've been absurdly fortunate. I wish all the reading and studying I've done in this life had really made me smart, but even so, I've been exposed to plenty, and it's had an effect. I want to emphasize how important I think it's been to have read so much of great literature, poetry and drama. As I study our politics and history, I've had a foundation grounded in exposure to the best of what makes us human, and was never likely to be swayed by limited, misanthropic views. Also, I was never rich, so that probably helped.

There are some who'll want to take the internet away, too. This is some serious freedom we have here on the internet, and it's now part of our consciousness. It's not perfect; it works a little like Wikipedia; but it's getting there. I know I've had advantages that have allowed me to refine some of my sensibilities (while slacking in other areas), and not everyone out there is quite ready to embrace his or her higher self. But things can change quickly. I want to see it happen.

If we can keep our powder dry and find some useful outlets for our less productive impulses, maybe we have a shot. I was pretty excited to see the debut of Brady Quinn, the Cleveland Browns' young quarterback, as he charged up his teammates for a couple of last-minute touchdowns over the weekend. I've always felt American football is one of the very best ways to manage our aggression; it's truly cathartic when you play, or at least have a team that's captured your heart.

Brady Quinn looks like a leader. Maybe he will be, maybe not, but for now it's exciting.

Maybe I should write something now about how we need some leaders. Maybe we do. But I wonder if we could just really appreciate the simple, everyday stuff, if we could just master the fundamentals, what we might accomplish.

No comments: