Sunday, October 21, 2007

Fair Game

Valerie Plame Wilson was interviewed this evening on 60 Minutes. I'm not aware of any new information that was revealed, but even in 2007, 60 Minutes coverage can have quite an impact. After the emotional wringer Americans have experienced with Iraq and the myriad effects of the War on Terror, can we digest the full implications of having leaked Ms. Wilson's covert role? I suspect this is going to be sticking in our throats for the next few days whether we have room for it or not. There is so little room, after all, what with global warming, Pakistan, FISA, etc. I've literally worn myself out keeping up with it all today, so this will be brief, because I'm digesting, too. My intention is to write a full-length blog entry tomorrow or Tuesday, and the impact of Ms. Wilson's interview will be in the foreground of my thoughts.

I'm still trying to finish Chomsky's Hegemony or Survival, because I've been splitting up my time in so many directions. But that didn't stop me from buying more books! I've got some reading material to help me brush up my technical style with Word 2007 for some improved blogging techniques, and I'm looking forward to an occasional break from all this seriousness by learning a few fun techie tricks.

I got a few other books as well, some of which I may discuss later, but one book I want to mention because it's also fun, and we can use some of that right now. It's I Am America (And So Can You!) by Stephen Colbert.

As you probably know, Stephen is now one of our Presidential Candidates:




I've only read through the first chapter (The Family), but if your sense of humor is anything like mine, I highly recommend this book. I hope to save further chapters for when I really need them. I won't give any of it away, but I will reprint a paragraph from the blurb on the inside of the book jacket (which I'm pretty sure was also written by Stephen Colbert):

You may not agree with what Stephen says, but at the very least, you'll understand that your differing opinion is wrong.
Hey, if Tim Russert can take a break from his more serious interviews with, um, Bill Cosby, why can't I? So, to finish up with this nonsense, here's the Colbert Meet The Press interview you may not have seen: the "Take Two" web portion of the interview courtesy of MSNBC:

No comments: